Making Disciples is the goal of the Church. This involves:
1. Evangelism to share the good news of Jesus Christ to a lost and dying world and
2. Discipleship of those who believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, with the goal of maturity in faith and maturity
in the life of each believer that is, conformed to the image of Christ.
Making Disciples is Accomplished:
1. by Going - having the mission of making disciple foremost on our minds
(a) in the daily life of meeting people (work, neighbors, family, etc.)
(b) in the support of Missionaries
(c) in the activities of the church
(eg. Home Bible Studies, Nursing Home Ministries, Men's Breakfast Fellowship, Ladies' Brunch, etc.)
2. by Baptizing - New believers making an outward profession of their faith in Christ, and thus declaring themselves to be disciples of Christ, by obeying the Lord's command to be baptized. (Believer's Baptism)
3. by Teaching - A Disciple of Christ grows in maturity through learning and obeying God's Word. Therefore, it is important that the church teach the whole counsel of God and the church family encourage, edify and admonish each other according to that teaching. This goal and method are seen in Col 1:28:
"Him we preach, warning every man and teaching every man in all wisdom,
that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus."
Our Church Mission is based on Our Lord's Great Commission stated in Matthew 28:19-20.
"Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age."
It is therefore, our Church Mission to:
MAKE DISCIPLES by Going , Baptizing, & Teaching
The methods to accomplish the mission may vary, but that mission is the focal point around which our church
decisions are made.
HOLDING FORTH THE WORD OF LIFE
First Baptist Church of Keyport